As an organisation Aberdeen City Council has a very clear vision for the Council and for the city of Aberdeen. The aims and guiding principles of this vision are focused on improving customer experience, improving staff experience and improving the use of our resources. It recognises that the level of service transformation that is required to achieve this vision, coupled with the increasing restrictions on public sector budgets, requires it to innovate at all levels in the organisation.
As such, the Council encourages innovation and a bottom up approach which ensures the voice of employees is both sought and responded to.
To help achieve this it has launched the Ideas Hub, a bespoke online idea management platform based around those triple aims. While the Council recognises that idea platforms are not a new concept this unique platform:
- Allows the organisation to gather employee ideas efficiently and develop and deliver those that are aligned to corporate strategy
- Creates a means for employees to openly collaborate and innovate across the organisation
- Empowers change and communicates policy and procedures
- Provides a means for employees and managers to highlight the good work done by others and to recognises and appreciate colleagues
- Gives a structured process for staff to have input into the review of policy and procedure such as the HR Policy Review
- Allows staff to have their say on key corporate initiatives such as the Star Awards
- Provides a means to share data from the Employee Opinion Survey along with suggestions for actions to address any issues identified through the survey
- Encourages employees to share their personal commitments aligned to change and transformation and to update their progress towards these
- Allows the Council to grow its corporate social responsibility as well as recognise and reward the hard work staff do for good causes throughout the city and beyond through the recent introduction of the Social Innovation Challenge .
As such the platform is not only an innovation tool, it is also a means to promote communication, engagement, collaboration, recognition, corporate responsibility and the contribution of all to strategy planning.