Following the decision of the Dundee Chief Officers’ Group to develop a Protecting People approach, a small project group from Learning and Organisational Development and the Protecting People team were tasked with bringing together learning and development activities from the four strands of Child Protection, Adult Support and Protection, Violence Against Women and MAPPA. A key objective was to develop a more streamlined, strategic approach to equipping the workforce with the competence, knowledge and skills applicable to their role in protecting people.
The team decided to pursue a Learning and Workforce Development Framework approach. This would address identified issues such as staff being unsure what they needed to know and do, and how staff find out what learning and development is available. It would also encourage creative thinking around learning and development and offer a degree of quality control of learning and development activity. The idea of a readily accessible interactive web tool followed. It was agreed that adoption of such a framework and tool would promote a consistency of approach and response to protecting people issues, both within and across agencies.
Focused Action Plans at each stage, tasks allocated based on members’ strengths and expertise, encouraging creativity, working in partnership with colleagues (e.g. drawing on IT expertise for the interactive web based tool) and ongoing support from the Chief Officers’ Group all supported the effective delivery of the project.
Once the Framework was drafted, the process of mapping current learning and development opportunities to the Framework began. An event was held for stakeholders, attended by 22 multi agency representatives, to consult on the draft Framework and identify the next steps required to support its implementation. From the stakeholder event a Multi Agency Protecting People Learning and Workforce Development Framework Implementation Group was formed to:
- finalise the framework
- further develop and implement the electronic system associated with the framework, including administrative implications, and
- complete and analyse the mapping process of activity across agencies, including making recommendations regarding rationalisation of existing activity.
The Framework and interactive tool was formally launched in December 2015 and it:
- Is accessible to all staff from all agencies via the Dundee Protects website.
- Supports staff to identify their Protecting People learning and development needs.
- Directs staff to learning and development activities that will meet those needs.
- Reinforces the message that Protecting People is everyone’s responsibility.
- Provides the means for staff to have the right competencies, knowledge and skills to meet that responsibility.
- Can be, and is continually being, developed and improved.
- Will improve practice and help us protect people from harm
The team have organised roadshows and presentations to services and organisations to help them benefit from using the Framework.