Making best use of resources – changing the way we work
- Savings of £3 million are already on target to be delivered. Over the next five years the programme is expected to save the council over £5 million.
- Our functional delivery model for shared services across Customer Business Services is to bring like work together in both the city centre and areas to deliver sustainable services for the council.
- Over 90 people are leaving the council every year and do not need to be replaced because workloads are being reduced and reorganised across CBS to maintain services.
- Over 110 ideas for process improvements have been implemented by our lean teams to reduce and rebalance workloads.
- To deliver the targeted savings we reorganised city centre support services (over 500 staff) into the three main functions: finance, business support and customer services.
- Area support services will be reorganised into area hubs, to bring like work together, to deliver more efficient support services and savings.
- We are working with new partners to help design and deliver solutions, for example, Capacity Grid, to introduce a performance toolkit. This will allow us to focus on improving the way work tasks are organised and provide better real time management information.
- We are delivering projects to make improvements to services and deliver savings, some examples are below.
Pupil absence support line. In the function of contact, we are piloting a new pupil absence reporting telephone line in seven schools. The aim is to reduce the volume of calls to schools and the admin workload, so staff can focus on supporting the school’s priorities. This will also improve management information for head teachers. Due to the success of the pilot we are now working in partnership with Education Services to look at rolling this out across all schools.
Cash for kids (CFKs). The project streamlined the administration process for CFKs, and replaced cash with Paypoint vouchers. It is now easier for Parents/carers to collect the cash as they can do this by going to a PayPoint retailer 24/7. This also reduced the costs and resource time for both CBS administration staff and SWS fieldworkers.