A Core Group met on a monthly basis to track progress, budgets, risks and address emerging issues. Strategic support was provided by a Steering Group, and Council staff were involved in 20 of the 28 national Ryder Cup Working Groups, with particularly heavy involvement in community engagement, transport planning, and operational infrastructure activities. This ensured that our own activities were in accordance with partners’ preparations.
A multi-agency Community Engagement Group was established, and a community engagement strategy was produced. Council officers played a leading role throughout. A Legacy Plan was prepared to ensure that the benefits from the Ryder Cup and Junior Ryder Cup (and other important 2014 events) were maximised. Stakeholders included local retail and hospitality businesses and licensing hours were extended to let businesses stay open later. Additional activities included:
- briefings were given to the local taxi community, free Ryder Cup posters and banners were made available, city centre entertainments were organised
- local golf clubs were involved via the Golf Perthshire marketing initiative
- local schools were involved in the ClubGolf programme
- education resources were made available and there was a competition for the best school Ryder Cup project
- local “Take a Pride” groups gained additional funding from the Council to enhance their areas; best community display competition
- local community groups (Community Challenge Fund; best Ryder Cup-themed residential garden competition; local banners and street dressing)
- care homes had intergenerational golf competitions with local schools
- Ryder Cup Europe funding for prizes
- Auchterarder Community Partnership (joint working on Open for Business promotions during event week)
- local residents - Council staff worked with individual residents affected by disruption to their normal commuting bus or train services to find alternative transport
- local residents’ briefing at Blairgowrie, to reassure them over measures to reduce disruption
All projects were delivered within the budget agreed by Council for the Ryder Cup.