1. A family-centred approach within the locality – Families First core team model
The Families First core team model was established after a period of consultation with families in the Linwood and Ferguslie localities and professionals across Renfrewshire. The core team model supports families in the local community to give their children the best start in life through the provision of a local, family-centred service. Teams were established in Linwood and Ferguslie in November 2013 and in 3 further localities (Foxbar, Gallowhill and Johnstone) in March 2016 after further funding was made available through the Renfrewshire Tackling Poverty programme.
Since November 2013 we have supported over 500 families. The nature of the support offered to families is shaped by their needs and priorities.
Families are also supported both through drop-in and group sessions.
2. A family-centred outreach approach
A number of Families First activities are offered across Renfrewshire including:
- Provision of daily ‘Families First Clubs’ during school holidays for P1-P3 children who are in receipt of school clothing grant. This consists of a programme of activities and a hot meal each day.
- Implementation of a Nurture Strategy with identified ‘Nurture Champions’ in each pre-5 centre supported by 2 Barnardo’s ‘Nurture Facilitators’. The nurture approach has now been extended to Primary and Secondary Schools.
- Family ‘Pizza Reading Groups’ to support and encourage family learning.
- Training and support for pre-5 staff in early identification of speech and language.
- Mobile children’s service known as the Skoobmobile.
3. Support for families with older children
Additional support for looked after children (LAC) including both younger children and older children with a focus on reducing exclusions and raising attainment through a team consisting of a LAC teacher and mentors.