Seven young people are being trained as sports coaches within Renfrewshire Leisure and will have the opportunity for employment with Renfrewshire Leisure at the end of their traineeship. The seven young people started in October 2015 and all have looked after or accommodated backgrounds. The trainees were recruited through Invest in Renfrewshire, the Council’s Economic Development programme.
Trainees complete courses in:
- Child Protection, Positive Coaching Scotland (PCS)
- Top Play/Sport, Rugby (YCC), Bikeability, Boccia Sports Coaching
- Disability Awareness in Sport and Physical Activity
- Badminton – Fun Games For Beginners
- Nicas, 1st Aid, Basketball Referee, Health Walk Leader
Trainees participate in workshops covering:
- Football Referee, Volleyball, Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee
- Future courses planned include: Pool Lifeguard, Cycle Ride Leader and
- UKCC Level 1 paddling
The trainees provide support to a range of community based initiatives such as Breakfast Clubs, Families First holiday clubs, health weeks and schools events.