Many people want the choice to die at home. More people are now able to do so in West Dunbartonshire due to the integrated approach to palliative care developed within our Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP).
Specifically, the initiative aims to:
- Improve palliative care for residents in Care Homes and in their own homes.
- Provide education and training for staff in Care Homes and Care at Home services.
- Coordinate the support for Care Home residents with complex needs.
- Improve the patient pathway at the point of diagnosis of long term conditions and approaching end of life care.
- Improve support for carers.
- Reduce the numbers of patients with palliative care needs being admitted and dying in hospitals.
This forward thinking initiative sees our confident and skilled staff work with patients and carers supporting local people at the end of their lives to make that choice as far as is humanly possible, personalising experiences for people and families through adapting the services to fit their needs, receiving integrated care through changing and challenging circumstances, reducing the numbers who die in hospital