A Participatory Budgeting approach to designing the service was undertaken with a wide range of opportunities for communities to provide input to the specification for the bus contracts. This included:
- a household questionnaire being issued to every home;
- numerous engagement events to enable people to indicate what they would most like from a bus service (targeting specific minority groups such as young people and older people);
- a second round of events where the community voted on various priorities and service delivery options, as well as the weighting within the procurement process;
- engagement with suppliers to develop their capacity to tender for outcome specification contracts;
- engagement through the use of social media; and
- tender assessment panels being made up of only community members, who determined to whom tenders should be awarded.