As part of the process of developing and implementing this new approach, the council undertook a number of different tasks including:
- A competency framework was developed that translated council values and performance measures into management and employee behaviours under key corporate themes.
- Competencies were developed for leadership and management to reflect current council priorities/objectives and then customised to reflect the different levels of managers and the nature of the role.
- A rating element was introduced to the new ADR process to provide a basis for performance improvement by generating a discussion about current levels of competency.
- The process involves a review of an individuals’ current work plan and the creation and validation of a new work plan to reflect team/service priorities.
- The process was designed to focus on outcomes/ key results areas to ensure that there was a specific purpose for assessing competency.
- ADR was developed with competencies and a process that recognises 5 management and 2 employee levels which is reflected in the templates and supporting documentation.
- Performance development planning is an integral part of the process using a standard template which will enable the collation of training needs.
- Role profiles were created for each management level and competencies and behaviours are written with generic content which provides flexibility to use them to underpin other processes e.g. recruitment